Clash | Freedom in a Flash
0.9.7b-rev9 (2009 July 9)
Mj Mendoza IV, Pascal Naidon, Patrick Corrieri
This is attempt fork of Pencil (SVN r54). Since the main developer is mostly busy, I have implemented some of my wishlist on my own.
I am not an official Pencil developer so I cannot officially release this update and call it Pencil. I am naming this fork Clash for whatever obvious reasons.
To whoever would like to join me develop this fork and make it closer to Adobe Flash IDE, you are welcome to contact me.
Discuss just about anything regarding Clash (Bug reports, Help, Development Plan)
Be part of Clash's future development
Ming library - used for exporting SWF file
- Ubuntu: (Please compile a copy of Ming 0.4.2; make sure to remove any trace of Ming installation before installing your compiled Ming)
- Windows: (Already included in Clash)
- MacOSX: (Please compile a copy of Ming 0.4.2)
7zip - used for C7Z file compression
FFMPEG - used for exporting AVI/OGV files
- Ubuntu: Run
sudo apt-get install ffmpeg
- Windows: Download an unofficial ffmpeg distribution at http://ffmpeg.arrozcru.org/builds/. Extract the
FFMPEG.EXE file then copy it inside
- MacOSX: (FFMPEG is not used for Mac builds)
- Why this project?
- A: There were attempts to make a F/OSS SWF authoring software, none have survive. Many command line SWF tools, yet no GUI.
- Where can I write my ActionScript?
- A: There's already an editor but it's not yet added inside Clash. There's just one active developer and lots of job to do.
- Who is Mj Mendoza IV?
- A: Just another coder wanting to provide an SWF authoring free software.
- Who are Pascal Naidon and Patrick Corrieri?
- A: Developers of Pencil -- not Clash. Since Pencil is the codebase for Clash, it's just fair to place their names as developers of Clash as well.
- How is Geesas (GPL SWF Authoring Software) related to this project?
- A: Geesas is going to be the GTK-based Clash.
- Is this project even legal?
- A: Adobe opened SWF format sometime May 2008. It's like saying, "This is how an SWF file is made of. Now, go make your own SWF authoring software".
- Is this project using any tools from Adobe (compiler, etc)?
- A: I'm using Ming to create SWF. Later, Gnash will be used to view the SWF.
- Why don't you use the Open Source Flex SDK?
- A: I try not to. Although, you can fork Clash then use the Open Source Flex SDK.
- Ming can't even write a Flash 9/10 SWF, why use it? Gnash can't even read a Flash 9/10 SWF, why use it?
- How can I help?
- A.a: If you are a coder, hack the source code. BUT if you are currently employed or an ex-Adobe Flash coder, please don't!
- A.b: If you are a web designer, make this software a website.
- A.c: If you are a writer, please blog about this.
- A.c: If you are an artist, make this software a mascot.
- A.e: If you are generous, please donate.